It’s week two of the School holidays and in case you’re starting to run out of ideas to keep everyone excited, we’re here to help.
Take a look below at a few of our suggestions to keep everyone entertained:
1) Go butterfly spotting – Can you tell the difference between Cabbage White, Red Admiral and Holy Blue? Get your peepers on the beautiful sunny skies in your local area and you’re sure to spot at least one of these elegant creatures.
2) Have a picnic – It may seem a simple idea but what’s better than lying on the grass, letting the children run around in the fresh air with snacks at your fingertips. There’s no need to break the bank either; we’re sure you’ll have some nibbles in the cupboard you can take along and just pop in a few sandwiches, as easy as that.
If you don’t fancy taking the car to find a perfect spot, how about the garden?
3) Visit a free Museum – There are hundreds of free museums and art galleries to satisfy even the fussiest of visitors around the UK and here are a few local favourites;
- Arbeia Roman Fort and Museum, South Shields
- The Baltic Contemporary Art Gallery, Gateshead
- The National Glass Centre, Sunderland
- Discovery Museum, Newcastle
- Woodhorn Colliery and Museum, Northumberland
4) Remember Pooh Sticks? – Made famous by A.A.Milne’s Winnie the Pooh. Choose your stick, throw it over the side of a bridge, and race to see whose is first to reach the other side. Be warned it’s addictive!
5) Try Geocaching – Treasure hunting for the 21st Century. Anyone with a GPS device or smartphone can give it a go. Visit geocaching.com to search for local hidden caches/messages and begin your hunt. You may find buttons, badges and all sorts of little treats along with a log book to see who else has found your treasure.
We hope these few ideas may help you through the rest of the Summer holidays. Add us on Facebook and tell us your own ideas!